The HASKELL FUND was established in 1955 in Cleveland by Melville H. Haskell, son of Mary Gertrude Hanna and COBURN HASKELL. The private charitable fund supports community services in the Cleveland area and awards grants nationally in other areas. The fund supports medical care (including FAMILY PLANNING), the theater, the environment, services for the elderly, AIDS research, and education at all levels (none to individuals), with a special emphasis on history and archaeology. In 1993 Haskell Fund assets were $2.85 million, with expenditures of over $108,000 for 54 grants in the $500-$16,000 range. In 2000 the fund president was the founder's son, Coburn Haskell; other family members served as trustees.
See also PHILANTHROPY and FOUNDATIONS.