HEINEN'S, INC., is one of the chief grocery-store chains in the Cleveland area. The company was established in 1929 when Joseph H. Heinen, a German immigrant who had worked at various food and meat markets since childhood, opened his own neighborhood butcher shop on Kinsman Rd. (later renamed Chagrin Blvd.) in the Kinsman-Lee district of SHAKER HTS.. The store soon prospered and Heinen moved to a larger location across the street in order to open a complete food service center in 1933. The firm's reputation for high quality, service, and cleanliness increased as it continued to specialize in meats. In 1939 Heinen's began a prudent expansion program by opening other supermarkets in middle- and upper-income neighborhoods. Ten years later, it opened its first self-serve supermarket on SHAKER SQUARE. By 1962 Heinen's had 5 stores and a new $1.5 million warehouse and headquarters at 20601 Aurora Rd. in WARRENSVILLE HTS.. In the 1960s, Heinen's expanded to Cleveland's west side. The company has always remained a family-owned operation, and Joseph Heinen and his son, John J., have been honored as Retailers of the Year. Following the founder's death in 1981, John J. Heinen served as chief executive officer. The company has been involved in civic affairs, such as its annual benefit program for the American Cancer Society, which began in 1978. Heinen's also won acclaim for an innovative series of radio commercials on classical music themes in the 1990s. In 1994 it had 11 stores, 1,300 employees, and $150 million in annual sales. As the decade drew to a close, control of the company was preparing to shift to the third generation of Heinens. By the end of 2003, Heinen's operated 15 stores in the Cleveland area and the company maintained its corporate offices at 4540 Richmond Rd. in Warrensville Heights.