HEISE, GEORGE W. (b. 27 June 1888), chemist and researcher for Natl. Carbon Research Laboratories, was born in Milwaukee the son of German immigrants Paul E. and Dora Tyre Heise. He earned his B.S. (1909) and M.S. (1912) degrees from the University of Wisconsin. He was a chemistry instructor at Grinell College (1909-10) and taught chemistry and physics at DePaul University (1910-11) before returning to the University of Wisconsin as assistant and later fellow in chemistry (1912-13). From 1913-17, Heise was a physical chemist in the Bureau of Science in Manila, the Philippine Islands, performing chemical and bacteriological tests on the water. In 1917 he became a captain in the U.S. Army Reserve Corps and was assigned to the Utilities Div. at Camp Grant, Ill., to work on water softening, sanitation, and other technical problems. He was transferred to Chemical Warfare Service in 1918 before returning to civilian life in 1919. During WORLD WAR II, he worked again with the Chemical Warfare Service and Natl. Defense Research Council. In 1919, Heise began working for Natl. Carbon Research Laboratories as a research chemist and engineer, first in Fremont, then in Long Island, before coming to Cleveland in 1925. In Cleveland, Heise led a group in electrochemical research and contributed to developing commercial dry batteries. He was responsible for more than 75 patents and wrote many technical papers. Heise married Margaret Armstrong in 1915.