HENRIETTA, SISTER, CSA (19 July 1902-17 Oct. 1983) was the director of Our Lady of Fatima Mission Center (1965-1983) on E. 68th and Quimby who worked to revitalize HOUGH and "reclaim a...slum" by providing food, clothing, education, employment, health care and housing for area residents.
Born Marie Gorris to Henry and Anna (Sulzmann) Gorris in Cleveland, she attended Saint Edward Parish High School (1919), and graduated from Canton's Mercy Hospital School of Nursing (registered nurse, 1925). She entered the the SISTERS OF CHARITY OF ST. AUGUSTINE religious order from Saint Philomena Parish in East Cleveland in 1925, taking her final vows in 1931.
Sr. Henrietta remained at Mercy Hospital as night supervisor (1928-1931), surgery supervisor (1931-1949), assistant administrator (1949-1951), and administrator (195l-1962). She came to Cleveland as director of nursing service, SAINT VINCENT CHARITY HOSPITAL (1962-1965).
In 1965 Sr. Henrietta devoted herself to renewal efforts in Central (Lower) Hough. Converting an old apartment house into a convent and mission center, Sr. Henrietta moved in among the poor. She helped them achieve self-sufficiency through her neighborhood training and volunteer programs such as Caridad and Famicos.
Sr. Henrietta received numerous awards including the Catholic Interracial Council Award (1976), the National Urban Coalition's Distinguished Community Service Award (1980), the American Jewish Committee's Micah Award (1983), and two honorary degrees.
The Mission Center closed with Sr. Henrietta's death. She is buried in CALVARY CEMETERY.
Wolff, Robert C., Rev. Msgr. Sr. Henrietta of Hough: She Reclaimed a Cleveland Slum (1990).