HOBAN, EDWARD FRANCIS (27 June 1878-22 Sept. 1966), sixth Catholic bishop of Cleveland, was born in Chicago, Ill., to William and Bridget O'Malley Hoban. He was educated at St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore, and ordained to the priesthood on 11 July 1903. Hoban graduated from Gregorian University in Rome in 1906, and became professor and treasurer of the Chicago Quigley Preparatory College. He was appointed to the Chicago Diocesan Chancery staff, became chancellor in 1906, and auxiliary bishop of Chicago in 1921. In 1928, Hoban became bishop of Rockford, Ill., opening many elementary and high schools, modernizing charitable institutions, and establishing a diocese newspaper. On 14 Nov. 1942, Hoban was named co-adjutor Bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland, serving as administrator with the right of succession to the ailing Archbp. Schrembs. He became bishop of Cleveland when Schrembs died in 1945.
Hoban's diocesan population grew from 546,000 in 1942 to 870,000 in 1966, even though 6 counties were lost to the new Diocese of Youngstown, established in 1943. Hoban established 61 new parishes, 47 new elementary schools, and a dozen high schools. He helped rebuild and remodel ST. JOHN CATHEDRAL, and enlarged ST. JOHN COLLEGE. Hoban centralized the child-care facilities at PARMADALE, constructed additional nursing homes, and opened HOLY FAMILY CANCER HOME for terminal cancer patients. An undergraduate seminary, Borromeo, was opened in 1953. Hoban actively promoted the Lay Retreat Movement and expanded the Newman Apostolate for Catholic students attending public universities and colleges. Hoban was given the personal title of archbishop in 1951. Hoban died in Cleveland and was buried in the crypt of St. John's Cathedral.