The HOLY FAMILY CANCER HOME, located at 6707 State Road in PARMA, was established in 1956 as a home for incurable cancer patients and is an early prototype of a hospice in the Cleveland area. Responding to a Cleveland WELFARE FEDERATION survey (1954) on local health needs for the chronically ill and incurably diseased, Archbishop EDWARD F. HOBAN asked the Dominican Sisters of Saint Rose of Lima to staff a hospital for the incurably ill. Built with funds raised by CATHOLIC CHARITIES, the hospital opened in 1958 and is owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Rose, also known as the Servants of Relief for Incurable Cancer. The home offers free care to terminally ill patients who are unable to pay, regardless of their ethnicity, race, or religion. In 2006 Holy Family was supported entirely through public donations; no funds from Catholic Charities were a part of the organization's operating budget. At that time, the institution provided twenty-four hour skilled nursing care by RNs, LPNs, or State Certified Nursing Assistants. The nursing staff worked with a staff physician who visited the site at least twice a week. In addition, Holy Family Cancer Home had an on-site pharmacy and pharmacist, a resident chaplain, an activities director, as well as a registered dietitian.
Archives, Diocese of Cleveland.