INGHAM, MARY BIGELOW (JANES) (10 Mar. 1832-17 Nov. 1923), dedicated to teaching, missionary work, and temperance reform, was born in Mansfield, Ohio to Methodist minister John Janes and Hannah Brown. She was educated at Norwalk Seminary, Baldwin Institute, and Western Reserve Seminary. Ingham arrived in Cleveland in 1846 as a primary school teacher, later leaving to become professor of French and belles-lettres at Ohio Wesleyan College for Women. Later she was assistant principal at Norwalk North Grammar School and Rockwell School of Cleveland. Ingham retired from teaching in 1886. In 1870, she co-inaugurated the Women's Foreign Missionary in northern Ohio. She was also involved in the Cleveland Chap. of the Natl. Women's Christian Temperance Union, serving as national treasurer from 1874-75. She helped establish reading rooms and Friendly Inns, heading one for 7 years. In Oct. 1882, Ingham co-founded the Cleveland School of Art (later known as the CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF ART), serving as secretary of the board of directors from 1884-94. Ingham contributed to numerous church publications; and also wrote a 3-year series, using the pen name Anne Hathaway, on notable Cleveland women for the CLEVELAND LEADER. She also authored Notable Cleveland Women, the story "Something to Come Home To," and the stage production "Flag Festival, a Four Hundredth Anniversary Program." She married Wm. A. Ingham, a publisher and bookseller, in 1866. After her husband's death in 1898, Ingham moved to Los Angeles in 1908 and remained active in religious and missionary work until her death.