The JOHN F. AND DORIS E. ERNSTHAUSEN CHARITABLE FOUNDATION was established in Cleveland in 1956 by John F. and Doris E. Ernsthausen. John Ernsthausen founded Norwalk Truck Line Co., one of the first trucking companies in the country, in 1923. The independent foundation supports Protestant religious institutions, services for the aged, higher and secondary education, and community funds, primarily in Ohio. It gained a reputation for providing band uniforms to many area high school bands. In addition, the foundation supports Bowling Green State Univ., the First Methodist Church, and BALDWIN-WALLACE COLLEGE. In 1993 the foundation held assets of $9.24 million, with expenditures of over $344,000 for 12 grants between $1,000 and $55,000. Cornelius J. Ruffing served as foundation manager.
See also PHILANTHROPY and FOUNDATIONS.