The KELVIN & ELEANOR SMITH FOUNDATION was incorporated in 1955 by industrialist ALBERT KELVIN SMITH. The independent foundation supports nonsectarian education, the performing and visual arts, the free enterprise system, health care, conservation, and community funds in the Greater Cleveland area. The foundation does not give to individuals or for endowment funds, scholarships, loans or matching funds. Recipients of Smith Foundation awards of over $100,000 have included the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY, the GREAT LAKES THEATER FESTIVAL, HAWKEN SCHOOL, the MUSICAL ARTS ASSN. and the Nature Conservancy in Columbus, OH. In 1991 CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. received $8 million from this foundation for its "library of the future." The foundation has also supported the Sea Research Foundation, Inc., established by Smith to study pollution and marine life, and Eleanor Armstrong Smith's alma mater, Smith College. In 1993 the foundation held assets of over $61 million and disbursed over $2.67 million for 36 grants, ranging from $1,500 to $1.7 million. John L. Dampeer served as foundation chair and treasurer.
See also PHILANTHROPY and FOUNDATIONS.