The KIDNEY FOUNDATION OF OHIO, INC., founded in Cleveland in 1950 (incorporated in 1964), was located at 2831 Prospect Avenue in 2006. It began as an affiliate of the National Kidney Foundation, Inc., headquartered in New York, but had disaffiliated from the Foundation by 2006. Initially, a small group of people sought to provide services for patients suffering from kidney disease and to encourage and assist basic research; they first developed educational programs to create professional and public interest. Since its inception, the primary objective of the Kidney Foundation of Ohio has been to promote medical research. The Foundation created the Nephrology Fellowship for Northeastern Ohio researchers. The Kidney Foundation of Ohio maintains a strong commitment to both professional and public education. It has worked closely with the CLEVELAND EYE BANK and Organ Recovery, Inc., to promote awareness of the need for human organ donations. In 2006 the Kidney Foundation of Ohio served a thirty-two-county area and supported other Ohio chapters in Lorain, Medina, Summit, Ashtabula, Lake, Mahoning, Trumbull, Columbia, and Wayne counties. At that time the Foundation also served five counties in northern West Virginia. In 2006 Michael F. Needham was the institution's President and Chief Professional Officer.
See also MEDICINE.