The LABOR SCHOOL MOVEMENT was part of a national education movement established by the Assn. of Catholic Trade Unionists in the late 1930s to counteract Communist infiltration into the union movement. The local movement was first organized in 1941 at St. Augustine Parish by the Assn. to educate Catholic union members on the conduct of unions according to Catholic principles based on justice and non-violence. The free 9-week courses instructed participants on parliamentary procedure and the strategy and tactics used in labor negotiations. Later that year the school transferred to ST. JOHN CATHEDRAL and continued to operate until Oct. 1948, when it was subsumed by the INSTITUTE FOR SOCIAL EDUCATION established by the Diocese at ST. JOHN COLLEGE.