The LAKEWOOD HISTORICAL SOCIETY was established in 1952 to restore and preserve the Old Stone House, the oldest residential structure (1832) in LAKEWOOD. Located at 14710 Lake Ave., the house, furnished with artifacts dating from 1838-70, serves as the society's headquarters. In addition to sponsoring exhibits of textiles, tools, and dolls, it has conducted oral-history interviews and maintained an extensive slide library. Revenues have been provided by memberships and special programs such as the sale of herbs from the society's herb garden. A Junior Women's Board of 35 members has hosted tours and conducted programs in local schools. In 1995 the president was Jeffrey Weber. Membership stood at 650.
See also LIBRARIES, ARCHIVES & HISTORICAL SOCIETIES.