LANG, FISHER & STASHOWER grew to become one of the region's leading consumer-oriented advertising agencies in the 55 years prior to its consolidation into the present LIGGETT-STASHOWER, INC. H. JACK LANG founded the firm in the Swetland Bldg. (later known as the 1010 Euclid Bldg.) in 1932. He was soon joined by broadcast advertising pioneer Alvin B. Fisher and, in 1937, by FRED P. STASHOWER, advertising and publicity director of Taylor's Dept. Store (see WM. TAYLOR SON & CO.). The agency counted many leading local businesses among its steady clients, including the CARLING BREWING CO., Cleveland Trust (see AMERITRUST), the RICHMAN BROTHERS CO., and the WORLD PUBLISHING CO. Some of its most memorable campaigns were "Hey, Mabel! Black Label!" (Carling's) and "700 Fussy Tailors" (Richman Bros.). Following the retirement of the original partners in 1967, 10 employees succeeded to the ownership, headed by David L. Stashower as president and including Martin J. Cohn, Thomas S. Case, and Edmund M. Kagy. In 1986, Lang, Fisher & Stashower merged with business-to-business advertising leader Carr Liggett. The merger expanded Lang, Fisher & Stashower's base of business into new fields, such as public relations, direct response marketing, and sales promotion. The resultant agency, Liggett-Stashower, moved into larger quarters in the Halle Bldg. in 1989 and David L. Stashower served as head of the new firm. In 1997, Stashower stepped down as chairman and chief executive, but continued to serve as a consultant.