The LEONARD SCHLATHER BREWING CO. was begun in 1857 by Leonard Schlather and operated by him until 1902. Schlather, born in Ebenhausen, Wurttemburg, Germany in 1835, emigrated to America in 1852. After coming to Cleveland, Schlather began his own brewery in 1857 with the aid of a loan from his brother, Frederick. He built a brick building at Carroll Ave. and York (W. 28th) St. and made additions to it as the business expanded. Schlather sold the business to the CLEVELAND & SANDUSKY BREWING CO. in 1902, which operated it as a brewery until Prohibition in 1919. From 1919 until it closed in 1933, Cleveland & Sandusky manufactured near-beer and carbonated beverages at the Schlather bottling plant (2600 Carroll Ave.).