LEOPOLD BROTHERS FURNITURE was established in 1859 by Henry Leopold and has been continuously operated by the family. Leopold came to the city from Germany in 1853 and worked as a cabinetmaker for 6 years before opening his own furniture shop at Lorain and Green streets in 1859. He made his own furniture in the store basement as well as caskets, which he sold to the immigrants in the neighborhood. By the 1880s business had increased so that Leopold could purchase ready-made furniture from the manufacturers, although he continued to make furniture until he died. After a fire in 1870, Leopold rebuilt the store nearby at 234-236 W. 30th. In 1946 Leopold Bros. occupied the old John Marshall High School building at 15149 Lorain, where it utilized the former classrooms to display its furniture in room arrangements. Additional floor space and parking were added in 1961. A second store at 8149 Brecksville Rd. was added in Nov. 1973 and both stores were open until 1987, when the Lorain facility closed. In 1995 the Brecksville store was still operated by the Leopold family, under President Wilbert Leopold.