LEVIN, ALBERT ARTHUR (2 March 1899-2 Feb. 1969) was a Cleveland attorney and commercial real estate developer whose one-man multimillion dollar property renewal program helped revitalize downtown Cleveland.
Born in Philadelphia, PA. to Morris and Mina (Kaufman) L., Levin and family moved to Lorain in 1908, where his father opened a men's clothing store. When Morris died in 1918, Albert took over the family business. In 1934 Levin graduated from The Ohio State University Law School and passed the Ohio Bar.
Practicing in Cleveland, Levin entered the real estate investment area by liquidating insolvent lending institutions. Recognizing the investment potential in Cleveland, particularly Euclid Avenue, Levin worked to preserve and rejuvenate the city. His restorations included the former Taylor Department Store (666 Euclid Avenue Building), the Number One Public Square Building (former Marshall Building), and the modernized 1021 Euclid Avenue Building.Levin also constructed a $l.5 million parking garage at E. 6th and Prospect Ave. and proposed a non-profit organization of community leaders to buy and repair old houses in the Hough area. In 1966 Levin was recognized by the Federation of Realty Interests as an outstanding example of private renewal.
Levin was a board member of the JEWISH COMMUNITY FEDERATION and honorary chairman of the United Jewish Appeal. In 1969, the Albert A. Levin Chair of Urban Studies and Public Service was established at CLEVELAND STATE UNIVERSITY.
Levin married Maxine Goodman on 30 Mar. 1946. They had no children. Levin died while visiting Brazil and is buried in Mayfield Cemetery.