LONG, JULIANA (JULIA) WALWORTH (19 Sept. 1794-2 July 1866), an advocate of TEMPERANCE, helped organize both FIRST PRESBYTERIAN (OLD STONE) CHURCH and Second Presbyterian Church and devoted much time to social service in Cleveland. Born in Aurora, NY, to Julianna Morgan and Judge JOHN WALWORTH, Long came to Ohio with her family in 1800 and settled east of Cleveland, in Painesville, then sparsely populated. The family moved to Cleveland in 1806. On 7 Apr. 1811 Long married surgeon DAVID LONG. From their second home on Water (W. 9th) St. (the later site of the city lighthouse), they moved in 1813 to the large log cabin built by SAMUEL HUNTINGTON. In the 1830s, the Longs lived on a farm in Kinsman, the later site of ST. ANN HOSPITAL; in 1845 they moved to a brick home at Longwood and Kinsman. With her husband, Long gave medical care to the poor, the sick, and soldiers. During the War of 1812, Long served as a nurse and her husband as a surgeon for wounded brought to Cleveland. She also worked among the homeless. In addition to raising her own children, Mary H. (Mrs. SOLOMON LEWIS SEVERANCE) and Horace Long (who died as a child), she took orphans into her home. After Dr. Lyman Beecher convinced her of the rightness of temperance, she joined area reform work.
Severance Family Papers, WRHS.