The LOUISE HARKNESS AND DAVID SINTON INGALLS FOUNDATION, INC., was founded and incorporated in 1953 in Cleveland by Louise Harkness and DAVID SINTON INGALLS. The stated purpose of the foundation is "the improvement of the physical, educational, mental, and moral conditions of humanity throughout the world." The foundation supports secondary and HIGHER EDUCATION, community funds, health care, and cultural programs, contributing mainly to organizations known to the trustees. In the early 1980s the Ingalls Foundation granted $1 million over 3 years to UNIV. HOSPITALS' capital campaign. Recipients of smaller grants ($25,000) in the 1980s represented a variety of interests. They included ORBIS, a Texas-based agency which provides medical care to developing countries, the CLEVELAND PLAY HOUSE, and the Naval Aviation Museum of Pensacola, FL. In 1984 the foundation helped support the building of the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART's new wing. In 1994 the foundation, with assets of over $16.5 million, disbursed $748,000 for 29 grants. Louise Ingalls Brown served as the foundation's president; other family members served on the board.
See also PHILANTHROPY and FOUNDATIONS.