The LUCILE DAUBY AND ROBERT HAYS GRIES CHARITY FUND was founded in 1968 in memory of Lucile Dauby Gries (1902-68), daughter of May Co. (see KAUFMANN'S, A DIVISION OF THE MAY DEPARTMENT STORES CO.) executive NATHAN DAUBY. It was the first foundation to sponsor a program for local public television (WVIZ), and the first private foundation to support theater renovation in PLAYHOUSE SQUARE. It helped support the establishment of the Cleveland Jewish Archives at the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY, established a cancer fellowship at UNIV. HOSPITALS, and commissioned the ballet Quicksilver for the CLEVELAND BALLET. The Gries Fund also provided early support for programs dealing with women's issues, such as the WOMEN'S LAW FUND and WOMENSPACE. In 1992, with assets of over $2.6 million, the fund disbursed over $149,500 for 18 grants, ranging between $500 and $15,000. In 1993 the fund's distribution committee consisted of Ellen G. Cole and Robert D. Gries.