LUTHERAN HOSPITAL, located at 2609 Franklin Boulevard, was established in 1896 by the Evangelical Lutheran Hospital Association of Cleveland. It was originally located in a private residence in FRANKLIN CIRCLE at West 28th Street and Dexter Avenue. In 1898 the Marcus Hanna home was acquired and adapted for hospital use. In 1995 it was a 221-bed, nonprofit, faith-based general hospital, offering programs in spine and orthopedics, SPORTS MEDICINE, senior mental health, and urology. The present hospital structure was built in 1922; additions and renovations were made in 1937, 1949, 1959, 1971, and 1975. In July 1986 Lutheran Medical Center affiliated with FAIRVIEW GENERAL HOSPITAL in a joint venture called Health Cleveland, Inc., a holding company for the two hospitals, their subsidiaries, and their foundations. As of 2006 this affiliation continued, however the Cleveland Clinic Health System subsumed both institutions in 1997.
In 2006 Lutheran Hospital offered special programs such as an Acute and Extended Rehabilitation Center, Radiation and Mammography Services, Center for Corporate Health, Cleveland Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital at Lutheran Center for Joint Reconstruction, Foot and Ankle Center, Hand and Upper Extremity Center, Spine Center, Cleveland Clinic Sports Health Center, Emergency Orthopaedic Center, Orthopaedic Research and Education Center, International Travel Clinic, Adult Behavioral Health Care, Senior Behavioral Health Care, and The Urology Center. At that time the institution's physicians served as team orthopaedic surgeons for the Cleveland Indians, as well as for many local college and high school sports teams.
Brown, Kent L., ed. Medicine in Cleveland and Cuyahoga County, 1810-1976 (1977).