LYMAN, SARAH E. (15 Oct. 1864 - 3 Jun. 1933) was a headmistress at LAUREL SCHOOL, an independent day school for girls, from 1904 through 1930.
In 1904, Lyman built Laurel Institute at 10001 Euclid Avenue. Lyman included a Chapel, Primary Division, and gymnasium for the school. Under Lyman, Laurel school integrated a myriad of subjects for their students, such as history, literature, and the arts. In Lyman’s personal philosophy for the school, she aimed to educate young girls about “character, culture, accuracy, and the power to work cheerfully and continuously.”
In 1927, Lyman, inspired by Cleveland’s rapid growth, relocated Laurel School to a plot of eleven acres in Shaker Heights. The site and its surrounding road were named after Lyman, as Lyman Circle. Lyman oversaw the design, fund raising, and construction of a Tudor building.
During Chapel talks at Laurel School, Lyman was known to advocate for high ideals and service to her community. Her commitment to community service was evident during her time at Laurel School. To honor Lyman’s legacy and birthday, on October 15th, 2011, Laurel School created the first Sarah Lyman Day of Community Service. During this day, students and alumnae participate in a nation-wide day of service in their local communities.
Lyman passed away on June 3rd, 1933 at the age of 63 and is buried in Lake View Cemetery in Cleveland, Ohio. She was married to S. Arthur Essex Lyman.