MARGOLIES, SAMUEL (April 1879-6 July 1917), educator, Zionist, and rabbi of ANSHE EMETH CONGREGATION (1904-16), was brought to America from his native Russia by his parents, Moses Zebulon and Nellie Margolies in 1882. In 1890 he returned to Russia to study at Telshe Yeshiva, coming to the U.S. 8 years later, graduating from Harvard University in 1902. Margolies accepted the pulpit at Anshe Emeth in 1904 and made it the most important Orthodox congregation in the city. Margolies introduced a modern element into Orthodoxy, preaching not only in Yiddish, the vernacular of immigrant Jews, but also in English, encouraging his listeners to Americanize. In 1912, he encouraged the creation of Congregation Beth Tifilah for Orthodox Jews in GLENVILLE, and helped arrange its merger with Anshe Emeth in 1916.
Margolies was a founder of the UNION OF JEWISH ORGANIZATIONS (1906); president of the Cleveland KEHILLAH (1913-14); a leader in revitalizing Cleveland's Talmud Torahs; and founder of the Hebrew School & Institute. He spearheaded the drive insuring that Mt. Sinai Hospital's kitchen would be kosher; although the kitchen remained kosher only 1 year. An ardent Zionist, Margolies was president of the Ohio Fed. of Zionists, and in 1917 received the largest number of votes to represent Cleveland Jewry at the first American Jewish Congress, but died before the convention convened from injuries suffered in an automobile accident. Margolies resigned from Anshe Emeth in 1917 and entered the insurance business. He also was manager and an editor of YIDDISHE VELT, a local Yiddish newspaper.
Margolies married Rena Franks in 1904. They had two children: Asher F. and Daniel F. Margolies died in Geneva, Ohio and his body was buried in New York, NY.