CWRU Links

MCFADDEN, JAMES A.

MCFADDEN, JAMES A. (24 Dec. 1880-16 Nov. 1952), auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland (1932-43) and first bishop of Youngstown, was born in the Newburgh section of Cleveland to Edward and Mary Cavanaugh McFadden. He studied at Cathedral and Holy Name grade schools and ST. IGNATIUS HIGH SCHOOL and College before entering ST. MARY SEMINARY to study for the priesthood. He was ordained in 17 by Bp. IGNATIUS F. HORSTMANN, and from 1905-14 was associate pastor of St. Agnes Church in Cleveland. In 1914 he was named the founding pastor of St. Agnes Church in Elyria. He was called back to Cleveland in 1917 to serve as rector of St. Mary Seminary. In 1923, Bp. JOSEPH SCHREMBS named him the first diocesan director of the Society of the Propagation of the Faith, the diocesan mission office. Two years later, McFadden was named a domestic prelate, became chancellor of the diocese, and was given the title of monsignor. On 13 May 1932, he was named auxiliary bishop of Cleveland. His episcopal consecration took place on 8 Sept. 1932. On 15 May 1943, the formation of the Youngstown Diocese was announced and McFadden was appointed its head in July, serving until ill health forced him to ask for the appointment of a coadjutor bishop in Nov. 1949. His co-adjutor bishop, Emmet Walsh, succeeded McFadden as bishop when McFadden died. McFadden was buried in the Cathedral of St. Columba in Youngstown.


Archives, Diocese of Cleveland.