MILES PARK was originally the public square of the village of NEWBURGH. Created when county surveyor AHAZ MERCHANT plotted the village in 1850, the park and commons at Gaylord (E. 93rd) and Walnut (Sawyer) streets were the site of a town hall in 1860. When Newburgh was annexed to Cleveland in 1873, the site was christened Miles Park in honor of Theodore Miles, who donated the land to the old village in 1850. Converted to a public library, the old town hall in 1907 was demolished to make way for a larger library building, the Miles Park branch of the CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY, which in May 1990 became the home of the HARRIET TUBMAN MUSEUM AND CULTURAL ASSN.
View image in Digital Cleveland Starts Here®