The NEW ORGANIZATION FOR THE VISUAL ARTS (NOVA) was created in 1972 as an incorporated nonprofit professional organization dedicated to the promotion and development of the arts and ARCHITECTURE in the Cleveland area. NOVA's stated purpose is to increase and expand professional opportunities for Cleveland-area artists and to work for the aesthetic improvement of the entire community. The original organization from which NOVA developed was the Art Community Co-op, which voted to change its name to the New Organization for the Visual Arts in Oct. 1972. NOVA complements area exhibiting organizations by sponsoring professional programs and "how to" workshops for artists, and also provides a slide registry for approx. 350 members' works. Other core services provided by NOVA to its members include "Art in Special Places," artist-in-residence service, artists information center, the Jim Mersfelder Memorial Artists Advocacy Award, the Telephone Hot Line, and an active volunteer and internship program. NOVA has been supported by grants from both government and private foundations, including the GEO. GUND FOUNDATION and the CLEVELAND FOUNDATION. Additional funds derive from annual membership dues, individual and corporate contributions, program registration fees, and benefits and special events. Under the guidance of the elected officers, trustees, and an artists advisory committee, NOVA is run by its over 1,000 members and administered by an executive director and staff. Originally at 1240 Huron Rd. Mall, NOVA relocated in 1976 to 1290 Euclid Ave., and then in 1988 to 4614 Prospect Ave., in Midtown Corridor.