ORANGE (inc. 1928), is a village 15 miles east of Cleveland. Bounded on the north by WOODMERE, on the east by MORELAND HILLS, on the west by WARRENSVILLE HTS., and on the south by SOLON, it occupies 4.5 sq. mi. It was originally part of Orange Twp., formed in 1820, which also included the modern communities of Moreland Hills, Woodmere, PEPPER PIKE, HUNTING VALLEY, and part of CHAGRIN FALLS. Serenus Burnett was the township's first settler, arriving in 1815. The name Orange honored the Connecticut hometown of several early settlers. By 1820 the population of the thriving agricultural community (see AGRICULTURE) was nearly 300. Before 1850, framed homes replaced log houses; steam sawmills and cheese factories developed into major businesses by the turn of the century. The main road, SOM Center Rd., derived its name from Solon, Orange, and Mayfield townships. In the early 20th century, ORIS P. AND MANTIS J. VAN SWERINGEN began buying farmland as part of their plan to develop the entire district from SHAKER HTS. to the CHAGRIN RIVER. As population increased, the desire for separate governmental representation led to the creation of the various communities. The Hunting Valley, Moreland Hills, Pepper Pike, Woodmere, and Orange public schools have consolidated into the Orange School System. Actually located in Pepper Pike, the Orange Branch of the CUYAHOGA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM served Orange as well as other neighboring communities. Orange had a population of 2,810 in 1990 and 3,236 in 2000 and operated under the mayor-council form of government.
Fant, Kathleen Griffin. Orange Township . . . Orange Community, A History from 1815-1824 (ca. 1982).
See also SUBURBS.