PRENTISS, FRANCIS FLEURY (22 Aug. 1858-1 Apr. 1937), founder of Cleveland Twist Drill Co. (see ACME-CLEVELAND) and philanthropist, was born in Montpelier, Vt., son of Joseph Addison and Rebecca Loomis Prentiss. Growing up in Winona, Minn, Prentiss worked as a bank clerk before moving to Cleveland in 1879. In 1880 he formed a partnership with JACOB D. COX, the forerunner of Cleveland Twist Drill Co. Prentiss was president of the company from 1904-11, then chairman of the board of directors until his death. He was also a director of Lake Shore Savings & Trust Co., Cleveland Life Insurance Co., Superior Steamship Co., Cleveland Graphite Bronze Co., OSBORN MFG., and Youngstown Steel Co.
Prentiss was president of the Chamber of Commerce (1906) and chairman of the Cleveland INDUSTRIAL EXPOSITION (1909), Cleveland Committee of the Natl. Education Assoc. Convention (1908), and the City Planning Commission (1915). Between 1901-19, Prentiss backed the visiting orchestra series, forerunner of the CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA. He helped form the MUSICAL ARTS ASSOC. and was a trustee the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART, WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Western Reserve University, Case School of Applied Science, and Andrews School for Girls in Willoughby. Prentiss was president and chairman of the board of HIRAM HOUSE; and was president of ST. LUKE'S HOSPITAL beginning in 1906, giving it an estimated $6 million during his lifetime and leaving 70% of his estate to the hospital. Prentiss married Delight Sweetser in 1900; she died in 1903. In 1917 he married Elisabeth Severance Allen, widow of Dr. DUDLEY P. ALLEN, who succeeded Prentiss as St. Luke's president in 1937. Prentiss died in Pasadena, Calif. and was buried in Winona, Minn.