RILEY, JOHN FRANCIS (1 July 1924-25 Aug. 1992) played a key role in the development and manufacture of superior wind velocity guages. Born in Cleveland, the son of Frank J. and Mary Connor Riley, he was a product of ST. IGNATIUS HIGH SCHOOL. He attended JOHN CARROLL UNIVERSITY for 2 years before enlisting in the Army during WORLD WAR II. He was with the infantry in Europe, participating in the liberation of Dachau concentration camp, and was sent to the Philippines as the war ended. He remained in the Army Reserves for 26 years.
In collaboration with his father and James V. Malone, Riley helped to develop a stainless steel cupwheel capable of measuring wind speeds of up to 200 mph. He and his father founded the Electric Speed Indicator Co. on Triskett Rd. to produce the device, which was utilized by the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Weather Service, and the Department of Defense. Rival indicators often broke down at velocities of 140 mph., but the Riley's products proved even more resistant than the towers supporting them. The younger Riley remained as a partner in the concern until his retirement in the early 1980s. His hobbies included membership in the R.C. Model Airplane Club and operation of a ham radio for 41 years. He was also active in several singles social groups, serving as president at various times of the West Side Singles Club, the Big Five Plus, and West Shore Units. Unmarried, he died in Cleveland.