The ROGERS EXPEDITION, led by Maj. Robt. Rogers, crossed the south shore of Lake Erie in Nov. 1760 by boat and on foot, with the objective of taking command of Ft. Detroit following the French & Indian War. Existing journals indicate that the Cleveland area furnished at least 1 landing site. With Presque Isle as a starting point, the main group under Rogers traveled westward by bateaux, stopping at various locations along the way. Simultaneously, Rogers ordered Capt. David Brewer to travel by land, driving a herd of 40 oxen. Accompanying Rogers was GEO. CROGHAN, a trader and deputy superintendent of Indian affairs under Sir Wm. Johnson. His familiarity and friendship with the Indians aided the safe passage of the expedition and eased tensions upon their arrival at Ft. Detroit. Journals of both Rogers and Croghan relating this journey include a description of a meeting with a group of OTTAWA Indians from Detroit. Some historians maintain that the location of this meeting was the CUYAHOGA RIVER, but the journals fail to agree on dates and locations and contain uncertain names of rivers and creeks. Recent opinion favors the CHAGRIN RIVER as the location of the meeting.
Rogers, Robert. Journal of Robert Rogers (1933).
Thwaites, Ruben G. Early Western Travels, 1748-1846 (1904).
Volwiler, Albert T. Geo. Croghan and the Westward Movement (1926).