The ROSE IRON WORKS, INC., custom fabricators of art and industrial metals, is one of the oldest firms of its kind in the U.S. It was founded by Martin Rose in Cleveland in 1904. Rose (1870-1955) was born in Hungary and studied and apprenticed in Budapest and Vienna. He emigrated to Cleveland in 1903 with his wife and a son.
The company relocated to a 1536 E. 43rd site about 1910 and has remained there since. The existing building, which dates to 1930, was built on the site of the old shop. The building has decorative metal work inside and out and won a Chamber of Commerce prize when completed. Through the early 1950s the company was headed by Martin Rose and was one of the nation's leading designers and creators of ornamental and functional works in wrought iron, stainless steel, aluminum, copper alloys, and glass. During slow periods and war-time, the company also fabricated industrial products. The company created objects for homes, stores, restaurants, and public buildings. Their work won many awards, including at the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART's MAY SHOWS.
Martin Rose died in 1955, and his sons Melvin, Stephen, and Milton all took turns at the company's presidency. Industrial work, such as equipment for heat treating and plating, made up a majority of the company's work. The company has remained in the Rose family, with Robert B. Rose, grandson of the founder, president in 1995.