CWRU Links
Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

SACRED MUSIC SOCIETY

SACRED MUSIC SOCIETY

The SACRED MUSIC SOCIETY was an early musical organization devoted to the performance of religious works. Established in 1835 at Trinity Church on Seneca (W. 3rd) St., the group consisted of choir members of the church augmented by nonmember professional outsiders. It sang the works of Bach, Haydn, and Handel. The society dissolved in the late 1840s.