SCRANTON, IRENE HICKOX (1800-15 Mar. 1858), educator, churchwoman, and benefactor, was born in Durham, N.Y., daughter of David and Phebe (Post) Hickox. She came to Kinsman, Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1817, and taught school there for 3 successive summers. She returned East in 1820 to attend Female Academy in Litchfield, Conn., subsequently returning to Kinsman and opening a boarding school for young ladies. Later, after coming to Cleveland, she became principal of a school for girls. She was a founder of the FIRST PRESBYTERIAN (OLD STONE) CHURCH. On 27 June 1828 she married JOEL SCRANTON, a leather and dry-goods merchant whose store was located at the corner of Superior and Water (W. 9th) streets. In 1833 they moved to a farm known as Scranton's Flats. Mrs. Scranton was considered one of the most benevolent of Cleveland women at the time, caring for many poor and ill people in the city. The couple had 6 children: Helen Maria, Mary J., George H., Emily Louise, Charles H., and an adopted daughter, Jenny. Mary (Scranton) Bradford was one of the founders and main benefactors of the Cleveland School of Art. She became second president (1885-1904) and was later named a trustee of the CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF ART. Irene Scranton was buried in WOODLAND CEMETERY.