The SECOND FOUNDATION, established in 1984, is an organization that awards grants. It is a sister fund to the 1525 FOUNDATION, and assets for both come from the same donor, KENT H. SMITH. The emphasis of the Second Foundation is on higher and other education, environmental quality and conservation of natural resources, museums, and social service agencies. Organizations located in Cuyahoga County and supported by the founder during his lifetime are favored, as are those promoting self-help by the recipients.
Museums, historical societies, universities, and schools have received grants from this foundation. The foundation's support areas include endowment funds, matching funds, capital campaigns, operating budgets, and seed money. Most of the grants are given in the Cleveland area, and recipients have included the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY, CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV., and Berea Childrens Home. In 1993 the foundation had assets of $21.9 million, gave out grants totaling $8.2 million, and had expenditures of $8.3 million. Hubert H. Schneider was president of the foundation, which had a staff of two.