SELDEN, GEORGE G. (13 Oct. 1915-18 Dec. 1993) was a chemical company executive, an industrial chemist, an internationally-recognized authority in mortar and ceramic technology, and the inventor of both an anti-icing propeller coating used by the Army Air Corps, Alaska during WORLD WAR II to keep planes operating in severe winter weather, and all-climate concentrated paints for military use.
Born in Cleveland to Franz and Lucia (Golay) Selden, George graduated from East High School (1932) and received his B.S. chemical engineering (1936), M.S. (1939), and Ph.D. (1942) in organic chemistry from CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY.
Selden started as a chemist at the family owned Upco Co., 1936-39. From 1941-1947 he was resin chemist and head of the resin and varnish lab at the Finishes Division of Interchem Corp., in Cincinnati. Selden returned to Cleveland and Upco in 1947 as factory manager and became company president upon his father's death in 1949.
After USM Corp. purchased Upco Co. in 1965, Selden continued as president of the Upco subsidiary until 1979 when he became group business director of USM's Bostile Division through 1981. After retirement, Selden formed Selden Chemical Consulting Inc., serving as president, 1981-1990.
Selden was a past commodore and trustee of the Forest City Yacht Club, helped to found Bratenahl Community Foundation and raise funding for the BCF Community Center's Children's Room.
Selden married Frances Knight on 9 Sept. 1941 (div. 1975; remarried 1991). They had two children, Philip and Barbara. He married Josephine Hershey on 7 July 1977 (dec. 1990). Selden lived in BRATENAHL. He was cremated.