The SHAKER HEIGHTS COUNTRY CLUB, 3300 Courtland Blvd., SHAKER HTS., a private, invitational organization, was founded in 1913 as a result of dissension among the members of the Euclid Golf Club over long-range goals, possible relocation plans, and the restrictions on Sunday golf. One group remained with the original club, a second group formed the MAYFIELD COUNTRY CLUB, and a third group, spearheaded by Jerome B. Zerbe (Euclid Club president) and Judge Ducane E. Tilden organized the Shaker Hts. Country Club on 18 Aug. 1913. The VAN SWERINGEN brothers deeded the club land on the upper Shaker Lakes Territory, which was subsequently enlarged to more than 155 acres in 1986. FRANK B. MEADE designed the 16th-century English-style brown-brick clubhouse, which was opened on 29 May 1915. The 18-hole golf course was designed by Donald J. Ross and Grange Alves. Robt. McDonald, the first golf professional, was succeeded by Alves, and later by Dave Livie, who served Shaker for over 30 years. In 1916 Pres. Harry Gillett appointed E. Miller France (one of the founders) a "one-man club forester"; he selected and planted over 3,500 trees to replace those destroyed by Dutch elm disease. Many memorial trees, with accompanying commemorative plaques, have been donated by club members. In addition to golf, the club provides many other recreational activities for its members, including swimming, tennis, paddle ball, and bowling.