SHERWIN, FRANCIS McINTOSH (7 March 1906-16 Dec. 1969) was a prominent banker, corporate director, and philanthropist as well as mayor of the Village of Waite Hill.
Sherwin was born in Cleveland to Frances (McIntosh) and John Sherwin. He graduated from Hotchkiss School, (Conn.), 1925, and received his B.S. degree from Yale University, 1929. Sherwin started as a banker with Midland Bank in Cleveland, 1929-1932, then became assistant treasurer of Cleveland Trust Company, 1932-1942. He joined Mid-Continent Securities Co. as secretary in 1934, later becoming treasurer and a director. From 1942-1945 Sherwin was a major in the Army Air Corps.
In 1946 Sherwin joined Lake Erie Management Co., serving as president and a director. He was elected a director of Brush Beryllium Co. (Brush-Wellman Corp.) in 1946, serving until his death. He also chaired the executive committee, and served as board chairman from December 1964 to May 1965.
In 1954 Sherwin was elected a director of the Halle Bros. Co., and in 1955 he joined the newly-created executive committee and was a trustee of the Cleveland Health Education Museum (see
Sherwin served alternately as councilman (1948-1951, 1958-1962) and mayor (1952-1957, 1962-1965) of Waite Hill.
In 1953 Sherwin and his wife established the
Sherwin married Margaret Halle on 30 Jan. 193l. They had three sons: Peter, Brian and Dennis. Sherwin lived in Waite Hill and is buried in