SIFLEET, WILLIAM J. (1860-8 May 1932) is remembered as "the father of BROOK PARK" for his pivotal role in the formation of that Cleveland suburb. The son of Thomas and Elizabeth Sifleet, he was born on their farm on Smith Rd., in what was then Middleburg Twp. Sifleet inherited and worked the family farm, marrying his wife Alice c. 1887. He became a leader in the movement by residents in the northern part of the township to incorporate their own municipality, which was accomplished in 1914. Credited with naming the resultant village of Brook Park after the nature of its terrain, Sifleet served as its first mayor from 1914-21. After an interim of one term, he was elected for a 2nd tour of duty from 1924-27. He was also a member of the Brook Park Grange and the Cuyahoga County Health Board, as well as a trustee of Berea Community Hospital. He died in the same house in which he had been born and had lived all his life. Having been predeceased by a daughter, Hazel, Sifleet was survived by his wife and a son, A. Corwin. He was buried in Berea's Woodvale Cemetery.