The SINGERS CLUB, a male chorus, was begun informally in 1891 at the Central YMCA by Homer B. Hatch and Carroll B. Ellinwood. Both men were active in local music and choral activities. The club rehearsed at the YMCA and offered Sunday afternoon programs in exchange for use of its space. In 1893 the organization formally became known as the Singers Club of Cleveland. Its debut was at the chapel of the FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH on 19 Apr. 1894, conducted by Ellinwood, who served as conductor for 7 years. Chas. Clemens, an organist, led the group from 1901-06, followed by Albert Rees Davis (1907-19). Other conductors were Harvey B. Gaul, J. Van Dyke Miller, BERYL RUBINSTEIN, Boris Goldovsky, Geo. Strickling, Robt. Stofer, Frank Hruby (see HRUBY FAMILY), Lawrence Stevens, and Thos. J. Shellhammer. Noted soloists who have appeared as guests with the chorus include Nelson Eddy and many Metropolitan Opera singers, such as Sherrill Milnes. The club appeared 5 times with the CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA, including the Cleveland premiere of Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex under Robt. Shaw in 1961. Beginning in 1960, the club began to award musical scholarships from its Albert Rees Davis Endowment fund. Between 1960-95, 97 voice students received scholarships. Numbering 60 voices, the Singers Club observed its centennial in 1992-93. Through June 1995 the club has had a total of 1,663 members. Thomas J. Shellhammer served as the club's conductor in 1995.