SPRINGVALE BALLROOM AND COUNTRY CLUB, on Canterbury Rd. in
The Biddulph family arrived in Olmsted in 1860. In 1923 Fred Biddulph built the Springvale Dance Hall on his father's farm. Five years later a golf course was created on the property by the Butternut Ridge Golf Club, and the dance hall was converted into a club house. In 1953 the 9-hole golf course, which had been renamed Springvale in the mid-1930s, was expanded into an 18-hole, semi-private course. After Fred Biddulph's death in 1957, his daughter, Rose (Mrs. William Scheeff), ran the hall and his son, George, ran the golf course. Since the 1960s North Olmsted has on occasion considered buying the property. By the early 1980s the ballroom was open to the public on Saturday evenings, and big band music and ballroom dancing were featured. Both the ballroom, which has been remodeled at least twice, and the country club were operating as of 1994. In 1994 the dance hall was open 5 nights a week, offering ballroom as well as country-western dancing and classes.