SS. PETER AND PAUL LUTHERAN CHURCH, 13030 Madison Ave., was established in 1901 to serve Cleveland's Slovak LUTHERANS. The first church was built on the corner of Thrush and Quail avenues in LAKEWOOD. In 1927 a new edifice was dedicated on the corner of Madison and Grace avenues. The predominant language was Slovak until 1935, when the membership decided to conduct some services and classes in English. Two issues split the congregation, in 1918 and again in 1948. The first was a majority vote to withdraw from the Missouri Synod. Dissenting members established the Pentecost Lutheran Congregation. The second controversial issue was Freemasonry; the departing faction established Gethsemane Lutheran Church in 1948. In 1985 SS. Peter & Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church continued to serve a growing membership.