ST. BERNARD'S was a small parish that evolved into the congregation that built
In 1858 a chapel, dedicated to St. Bernard, was added to the school, and Rev. Anthony Krasny, who resided at St. Peter's, was placed in charge. In 1862 Krasny became resident pastor of this parish. That same year a frame church for the St. Bernard's parish was begun at Woodland and E. 23rd which was designated St. Joseph's. This church was completed in 1863. When the adjacent new school was completed in 1864, the old school and chapel were sold to a private individual, John Raspord, who maintained them as a residence for many years.