The ST. JOSEPH HOME FOR THE AGED, opened 6 Dec. 1943, cared for ambulatory elderly residents from Jan. 1944 until it closed in Jan. 1966. The Franciscan Sisters of the Blessed Kunegunda, newly arrived in Cleveland from Chicago, founded the home, using the former ST. JOSEPH'S ORPHANAGE building at 6431 Woodland Ave. Associated with the CATHOLIC CHARITIES CORP., the home admitted its first resident on 2 Jan. 1944 while the structure was being renovated. Officially dedicated on 18 Feb. 1945, the facility had the capacity for 100 residents; however, it soon housed 108. At first residents were all of the Roman Catholic faith, but diversification occurred over time. Built in the late 1870s, the building was in poor condition by the 1960s. Unwilling to risk expensive renovation in an area targeted for urban renewal, the St. Joseph Home for the Aged closed 1 Jan. 1966. The remaining 55 residents were transferred to JENNINGS HALL, the LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR, and the St. Edwards Home in Akron.
St. Joseph Home for the Aged Records, Diocese of Greater Cleveland Archives.