The parish of ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH at 1930 W. 54th St. in Cleveland was established in 1869. It eventually became the largest German-speaking Catholic parish in Cleveland. The congregation was using a small brick structure in 1873 when the church that stands today (1994) was begun.
The church is best known for its decorative interior, especially the intricate wood carving. Most of the wooden objects are white oak and were ordered from Munich, Germany, and were installed in 1893. The main altar, which won first prize at the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 before coming to St. Stephen's, was also carved in Germany.
A tornado which struck this neighborhood in June 1953 damaged several stained glass windows and completely destroyed 3 of them. The damaged ones were repaired at that time. The remaining 3 were replaced in March 1993 with windows from the demolished
St. Stephen's 100th Anniversary Booklet.