STANDIFORD-MEHLING, ETHEL (?-?) won prizes for her photographs of Cleveland's elite of the 1920s and 1930s at the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART's MAY SHOWS; a collection of her work is held by the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
Born in Jackson County, KY., Standiford was educated to teach school but apprenticed to a local photographer instead. She opened her own studio in Louisville, KY in 1901. Standiford moved the Standiford Photographic Studio to Cleveland in 1919, first locating in the GAGE GALLERY OF FINE ARTS, then in the Chilcote building (1925), and finally in the Hickox Bldg. at 1030 EUCLID AVENUE (1930s).
Plagued by debts, Standiford filed bankruptcy and closed the studio in 1936, presenting 500 autographed photographs of prominent Cleveland residents to the CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY. The first woman to be elected president of Cleveland Photographers Assn., Standiford was noted especially for her portraits of men and her innovative methods of photographing children.