The SUPERIOR ST. TABERNACLE, begun as the City Mission in 1852 by Rev. DILLON PROSSER, was noted for its striking octagonal building on Superior St. (opened in 1877) and for the size of its congregation, over 2,000 in the late 1870s. Originally located on St. Clair, the mission changed its name to the Waring St. Methodist Episcopal Church with its move to that location in 1871. The church became the Superior St. Tabernacle when it dedicated its new building at Superior and Aaron (E. 36th) St. in 1877. In 1886 the name was modified to the Superior St. Church. The church disappeared from the city directory in 1894.
See also METHODISTS; RELIGION.