The TAVERN CLUB, on the southwest corner of E. 36th St. and Prospect Ave., is one of Cleveland's oldest private social organizations. It was founded in 1892-93 by a group of young men, primarily from the UNION CLUB, who wanted a meeting place "uptown" surrounded by open spaces. The founders and first officers included HENRY K. DEVEREUX, president; Wm. C. Rhodes, vice-president; Addison H. Hough, secretary.; and Perry W. Harvey, treasurer; as well as Harry R. Edwards and CHAS. A. OTIS, JR. From 13 May 1893-14 May 1898, the club occupied the Goodman residence on the northeast corner of Case Ave. (E. 40th St.) and Prospect Ave. The club was incorporated in 1898 under the name the Tavern Co. Originally limited to 50, membership eventually increased to 200. From leased premises at 968 Prospect St., on 1 Jan. 1905 the club moved to its present building, designed by J. MILTON DYER, club member and Cleveland architect. The exterior construction and the traditional interior decor of the building, as well as the main purpose of the club—fellowship in a congenial setting—have essentially remained the same since the club's beginning.