TAYLOR, DANIEL RICHARDSON (28 Mar. 1838-19 Aug. 1924), was a pioneer real estate agent, businessman, and Cleveland developer who recognized an existing relationship between community welfare and municipal development, a concept known today as "city planning". He led in transforming the real estate business into a profession and, in 1892, was a founder and first president of the Cleveland Real Estate Board (CLEVELAND AREA BOARD OF REALTORS).
Born in Twinsburg, Ohio to Colonel Royal and Sarah Ann (Richardson) Taylor, Daniel was educated in Twinsburg and CHAGRIN FALLS. He was a school teacher then, in 1856, a Cleveland & Mahoning Railroad station agent. In 1862 he joined the 84th Ohio Volunteer Infantry as quartermaster and was Ohio State Military Agent at Louisville and Nashville from 1863-1865.
In 1867 Taylor came to Cleveland and began investing in residential property on EUCLID AVENUE. He was among the first to foresee Euclid's importance as a business district rather than residential street. In 1874 he and his brother, William, opened a real estate office. Taylor heavily invested in real estate, owning wholly or in part about 500 acres of land in Cleveland including several miles of railroad frontage which he purchased for manufacturing purposes.
Taylor was an original member of the UNION CLUB OF CLEVELAND, president of the Manufacturers Realty Co., and the Harbor View Co., and a director of several manufacturing and business enterprises.
Taylor lived in Cleveland and never married. He is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.