THUMM’S BIKE AND CLOCK SHOP was founded by brothers August F. (Gus) and Karl F. Thumm in May 1909, in Warren, Ohio. It began as Thumm’s Tire Shop, which sold motorcycles, bicycles, motorcycle tires, and car tires. Their building featured the first gas pump in Warren. Karl also had the first car in Warren, a 1901 Cadillac. The original building was across the street from the current building (330 W Market St), but was destroyed in a major flood in 1913. Their new shop was purchased from Wainwright Brewing Co. of Pittsburgh, and located close to the Packard auto factory. The location allowed a friendship between the Thumms and the Packards. Karl worked in the body works division at Packard.
Gus’s son, August B. took over the business in 1944. He ended the sale of motorcycles and tires and focused on bicycles, his main bicycle brands were Schwinn, Raleigh, and Columbia.
August B.’s son, August F. II (Augie) started working at the bike shop in 1965 and became the owner of the business in 1991. Clocks were introduced into the shop in 1989. Although an unusual combination, clocks and bikes have opposite selling seasons, so the business has a year-round clientele.
In 2009, Thumm’s received commendations from Senator GEORGE VOINOVICH, the Trumbull County Commissioners, the National Packard Museum, and Trek Bicycle Co., as acknowledgement for its 100-year anniversary. In 2011, it received the Pendleton Business Pride Award from the Warren Area Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Warren Key to the City from Mayor O’Brien. In 2017, Thumm’s was inducted into the ONE HUNDRED YEAR CLUB OF THE WESTERN RESERVE and thus made eligible for inclusion in the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. August F. Thumm II, continued to head the business as of 2019.