TREUHAFT, WILLIAM C. (21 Oct. 1892-24 Dec. 1981), industrialist and civic leader, was born in Cleveland to Morris and Bertha Treuhaft. From 1910-14 he attended both Case Institute of Technology and Adelbert College in a 5-year engineering and humanities course but left after 4 years to go into business. In 1916 he became president of Sterling Prods. Co., which consolidated with Arco Co. in 1927; Treuhaft was a vice-president. In 1928 Treuhaft formed his own company, Tremco Mfg. (see TREMCO, INC.), where he was president until 1966, then chairman of the board until 1973.
Treuhaft's career of service began early. He played piano for teenage dances at ALTA HOUSE, and in college worked at Camp Wise. He was president of Community Chest (1956, 1957) and United Appeal (see UNITED WAY) campaigns (1966, 1967); was an officer in BLUE CROSS OF NORTHEAST OHIO, MT. SINAI HOSPITAL, and the JEWISH COMMUNITY FED.; and a trustee of CLEVELAND HEALTH MUSEUM and president of CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART. He was also chairman of the board and an executive committee member of UNIVERSITY CIRCLE, INC. Treuhaft was a trustee of BALDWIN-WALLACE and URSULINE COLLEGES and CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY; at CWRU in 1968 he endowed 2 chairs, 1 in humanities and another in the school of management. In 1914 Treuhaft married Elizabeth Marting. They shared the 1950 Chas. Eisenman Award of the Jewish Welfare Fed. and the 1972 Natl. Human Relations Award of the Natl. Conference of Christians & Jews. They had no children.