URSULINE COLLEGE is a Catholic liberal-arts college for women located at 2550 Lander Rd., PEPPER PIKE. The school was founded on 17 Nov. 1871 when Mother Mary of the Annunciation Beaumont applied for and received a charter to confer college degrees (see URSULINE SISTERS). In 1922 the Ursuline nuns were authorized by the bishop to start a separate college, which began classes at 50 Euclid Ave. and graduated its first class in 1925. In 1927 the college moved into 2 large remodeled residences at 2234 Overlook Rd. Ursuline was admitted into the North Central Assn. of Colleges in 1931 and was accredited between 1937-39 for training teachers in home economics, art, and music. In 1952 the Ursuline nuns announced plans to move to the present 112-acre site in Pepper Pike; the first building on the new campus was opened in 1959. During the 1960s, enrollment at the college doubled, and residence facilities tripled. In 1975 St. John College's nursing program was transferred to Ursuline, where it has become Ohio's oldest and largest private nursing program. The 1970s saw the introduction of courses for women in management, fashion design and fashion merchandising, and business management. In addition, the campus grew with the construction of several buildings, including the Matthew J. O'Brien Campus Ctr. and the Florence O'Donnell Wasmer Art Gallery. In 1990 the college established the first liberal arts core curriculum in the U.S. based on the ways in which women learn. As of 1993, Ursuline had a faculty of 140 nuns and lay professors; 1,600 students were enrolled, and 33 bachelor's majors and 3 master's degrees were available.